Twisted Steel Splitting Wedge
These handmade German steel twisted splitting wedges have a wide striking face on its back, which is ideal for hammering. The quality of steel is a critical element for splitting wedges. The steel used to forge this wedge is German C50 High Grade Carbon Steel. The hardness is exactly the right balance to avoid chips or cracks, as well as to prevent soft mushrooming steel. Chipping pieces is a serious danger when using wedges, which is why it is very important to use wedges designed to avoid this hazard. These are dropforged, heat treated, and oil hardened. Many lesser quality splitting wedges will break down over time and need to be replaced, whereas Helko wedges will last a lifetime.
- Forged in Wuppertal, Germany
- Drop forged, heat treated, and oil-hardened
- Twisted design & notches help prevent slippage
- Wedge incline assists with difficult splitting tasks
- Sharpened bit (blade edge)
- Center groove helps to prevent pinching
- Includes vegetable tanned Leather Sheath
- Length: 8.25 in.
- Weight: 4.5 lbs.