Handmade in Germany
The Saxon Splitter is a heavy duty splitting axe, best reserved for large rounds and difficult logs. The Helko designed head delivers powerful strikes without getting stuck or pinched up in the wood. The Saxon has the splitting power of a maul, but has the balance, feel, and control of an axe. The small turnaround hook on the heel (bottom edge of the blade) can be used for log moving. The steel overstrike protector provides protection from miss swings, reducing the possibility of shaft wear and breakage.
- Head Weight: 6 ¼ lbs.
- Total Weight: 8 ½ lbs.
- Bit Length: 3 ⅞ in.
- Handle Length: 31 in.
- Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
- Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge
- 1 oz. bottle of Axe Guard protective oil
- Vegetable tanned Leather Sheath