Handmade in Germany
The Hessen Woodworker is a midsize, traditional German cutting axe, light enough for any user to handle comfortably. The 2 ¾ lb Rheinland pattern axe head has a sharp, slim, wide-bit blade that will outperform most American pattern felling axes at cutting work. The pattern is named after Germany's famous Rhein River Valley, a heavily forested region where cutting axes like these have been in use for centuries. This axe is suited for felling small and medium sized trees, and can also be used for splitting smaller firewood. Slightly too big to carry along on weight-conscious backpacking trips, the Hessen is better suited as a base camp axe, or for longer excursions where it can be stowed in a canoe, raft, or vehicle.
- Head Weight: 2 ¾ lbs.
- Total Weight: 4 lbs.
- Bit Length: 5 ⅛ in.
- Handle Length: 28 in.
- Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
- Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge
- 1 oz. bottle of Axe-Guard protective oil
- Vegetable tanned Leather Sheath
See Optional Upgrades Here