Few axes are more iconic than the American double bit. Instantly reminiscent of bygone days when double bit felling axes spread across America during the 19th century, the Classic Odyssey is an ode to the past. Traditionally, one bit was reserved for heavy work that was prone to dull the blade, while the other was kept with a finely honed edge. The beauty of double bit axes is that the user has the option to profile each blade differently and may use, for instance, one edge for splitting and the other for cutting. When the logging industry was still reliant on axes for felling trees, one side of the double bit was commonly used in chopping undercuts for large timber, while the other was held in reserve for fine cutting.
The Odyssey has as straight handle and symmetrical head, offering a comfortable balance for the wielder. Hung with a 30 inch handle, the 3.5 pound head makes the Odyssey a capable and effective felling tool. The head is buffed and polished to a highly reflective finish that reduces cutting friction and improves rust resistance.
- Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany
- German C50 high grade carbon steel
- Open face drop forged, heat treated, and oil-hardened
- Helko crown hammered into cheek
- Polished to a highly reflective finish
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Crafted in Switzerland
- Sustainably sourced Grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for strength, grain orientation, and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with hardwood wedge and notched steel ring wedge